Sunday, September 22, 2013

Viajante vs. Tourista

Shout out to my roommate Kayla!  It's her birthday today! (Sunday) WOOT! Feliz cumple, chica ;)

      These past two weeks have been one heck of an emotional roller coaster.  I guess it just started with still experiencing new things, getting more used to daily life here in Spain, and missing home.  I guess since I've travelled before (and I've lived somewhere different each of the past 4 years) I didn't think I'd miss home that much.  But alas, I did! And I still do somewhat.  But as a result of my homesickness, I have pushed through and keep repeating to myself to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."  I feel like I keep learning that lesson over and over.  I don't know why I keep "forgetting" ... I guess my own pride gets in the way.  But I have given the things out of my control over to God and I am living in the moment here.  I hope I don't have to learn this lesson again.

       Anyways! One of the highlights of these past two weeks was going to Córdoba (NOT Qdoba.)  I went with my art class and we got to actually see some of the sights that we had learned about in class!  It was really cool.  I don't typically get to see places for myself that I've learned about in class, so this was quite neat!  We saw the infamous mesquita there.  I must tell you, it was quite impressive.  Looking at all of the detail and the precision made me stand in awe.  People felt so passionate about their religion that they wanted to perform the most difficult, intricate work that they've ever done to praise their god.  I feel like us Christians need to have an attitude like that--we should give our all and perform the best to our abilities.  Not so that we get awarded here and get caught up in the world, but rather that it would be an expression of love for our God.  Anyway, it was really cool!  Actually, it was extrodinarily hot there without much of a breeze.  But I stopped caring about the temperature and I started exploring with my friends! We had a bit of free time after the sites before heading back, so we walked around the city.  It's beautiful there!  I realized that I could take all the pictures in the world with my snap and shoot camera of the buildings, but without anyone in them they wouldn't really be a point to it.  You can go look up some pictures on the internet of it, I'm sure.  So I just started taking pictures of my friends and me, and it was a much more fun way to enjoy the day.


La Fachada

     This past week ended up being really busy with little things going on.  On Wednesday I had Encuentro again and I lead worship.  This time it was in a quaint church and so I could hear myself and the piano much more.  I was a little nervous leading (and apparently the role of the leader just was handed to me... but hey, I don't mind!)  I play the guitar and sing, but there are 3 other girl singers, a guy singer/plays the bongo or something, and then we asked a girl to play the piano.  The nerves left when I got up and started playing.  Of course there were mistakes here and there, but it didn't matter.  I was praising with everyone else.  My pulse increased, my cheeks got red, and I was energized.  However, afterwards I was utterly exhausted because I put so much energy into that.  I was completely empty, but entirely full.  I haven't had a feeling like that in a long time.  I really loved what came of that night.  I should make note of that. 


     Thursday evening, we had a "noche de tapas" with other Spaniards! FINALLY! I get to meet some real Spaniards my own age and hang out with them.  (Church here isn't the first place I'd meet a ton of people my age.)  It ended up being incredibly fun because we just went from restaurant to restaurant to try out food. (and of course we had ice cream afterwards!)  The conversation was great (and in Spanish, of course... which sometimes produced laughter with a little barrier...)  We talked about television shows, a little bit about football (soccer,) and loads of other things I'm sure.  By the end of the night we were exchanging contact information. Hopefully we will get back together soon.  They seem really great folks.  My Spanish is already improving.  I noticed that night that I wasn't just speaking some magical language that only my profs and host family can understand.  I can go and have good conversations with people I just met (like 9/11 and what that was like in the States.) 

     My host dad talked to us Saturday morning about how people (I think he meant us) live it up here in Seville and go out and see the world, explore the city, live the "Spanish" way.  I completely agreed with everything he said.  And I think I have been living that way, but the previous day I was exhausted from the week so I just read for most of the afternoon.  It was his pep-talk to us, which I thought was just the sweetest thing.  He gave us some ideas of what we can do--like rent a car between a few of us and just take a day to see the surrounding cities.  Or go to this site or that site.  Or get lost in the city and find somewhere that the tourists don't know about.  I love doing that.  He said we should be more like viajantes (travelers--people who stay to get to know a place) than touristas (you guys can figure that one out.)  I agree and I am excited to get to know this city better!

     We have some tests coming up and so this weekend (ok so it's just been today) I've been studying.  I am a bit nervous about that since they are the first of the year, and they're in Spanish.  Essay questions.  Great.  It'll be aaight though.  This past weekend I finished a book, hung out with friends, great talks with God, went to a concert, went to an international festival, and hung out with my roomie for her birthday.  A good weekend, I'd say!

Hopefully I will be more diligent about updating my blog.  I deeply apologize for that.  Hey, I want to remember this stuff, too! :)  I guess it's a good thing that life has been busy enough for me not to be on my computer.


"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment