Monday, September 2, 2013

El Primer Día de Clase



Today was the start of the "real reason" I'm here: to take classes with Spanish professors and receive college credit for it.



I was a bit nervous to go to my classes today. I had met the professors just briefly, but this time I would see how they really interact with us. I mean I'm sure that they are lovely people and are going to teach us more than I could possibly describe, but it was a little bit threatening. I know my Spanish isn't the best that anyone has ever spoken--particularly with the Spanish/Sevillano accent-- but I am trying. Then it hit me: they know I'm trying my best. They understand that we aren't going to know everything right away. If we did, we wouldn't be needing to take these classes.


Well, unlike universities in the States, we have the same classes at the same time every day. Hey, now I don't have to know exactly what day it is! I signed up for Spanish History, Spanish Literature, and the History of Spanish Art. Fortunately for me, they all correlate really well with one another. I do have a 2 hour descanso (break) in between my first and second class, so I am hoping to be able to be productive during that time and do some work so that I can do fun stuff later!


Today after classes, I had a meeting with my volunteering class. I'm so excited to start that up! We are going to be assigned (well, we sort of get to choose, but aren't promised anything) where we are going to volunteer. Some options include an old folk's home, a children's hospital, and a convent where you teach children English. The old people peaked my interest because the volunteers play dominos with old men, or you can teach them how to something, or simply chat with them. How fun is that?! I love playing games! And bonding with more mature people is always rewarding. I am also told that the men there just shower the ladies with compliments. (Trust me, I'm not interested in that place solely because it would stroke my ego.) I would love to go to the children's hospital and hang out with some kids for a while, but it's at the same time as Encuentro. (I'll talk about that later) It would be a shame to miss out on that. And as much as I would love to teach children English, it's pretty far away from where I live. But I'm trying not to let that kind of thing stop me.


Encuentro is a chapel service for the students at my university every Wednesday. I signed up to be a singer/guitar player (if necessary) in the band that they have. I don't know yet what it's going to be like, but we have a meeting tomorrow about it. I really want to get involved with Encuentro.


After the meeting, Kayla and I headed home for siesta and lunch. We chose siesta today. It surprises me how tiring it is to speak Spanish all day and to try to understand it. It will take some adjustments, for sure, but I'm hoping to be better by the end of the semester. I think it's because I have to concentrate on every single word that is spoken to me and the words I'm speaking. Already I can see a difference in my Spanish abilities and I've only been here for almost 5 days. Crazy! Maybe I'm just more confident... but at the same time I've definitely been put in my place. But comparision is the thief of joy, they say. So I am just going to work on my Spanish and see how I can connect with these people the best that I can. Repeat.


After homework, Kayla and I decided to go to one street that apparently had a ceramic of a head of a king. Legend* has it that a king was walking around drunk one night and happened into a fight with another man and killed him. An old lady saw it from her window but couldn't make out that it was the king, so she went and told people that some guy randomly killed a man on the street-- apparently this made it worthy for the man to be beheaded. Word got back to the king with a description of the man, and once he realized that they were describing him he basically said, "yea, i'll take care of it." Then he proceeded to put a fake head in a box to say that he beheaded the man and that it was all said and done. When he died people opened the box and realized it was a ceramic head, and that he was lying about the whole thing. I don't know how they jumped from one conclusion to another, but we decided that we better check this thing out! So away we went. We got there perfectly--we had some troubles in the past getting lost. And once we got to the street, we had no idea where it would be. Kayla had told me that it was a box with a person head in it and that it was on a light-colored wall. This would be more helpful if we were in a place like Cinque Terre, where that would stand out. However, most of the buildings on that street had light colored walls. Therefore we just walked up and down the street a few times, not being able to see it. Right as we were about to turn to go back, I looked up and I saw it, and I said, "Kayla, is this the 'box'? Why doesn't it actually look like a box?" Then we proceeded to take pictures and laugh. Twas a lovely adventure this "afternoon."

Hey, look, we found it!



We came back to eat dinner, and our host brothers and sister were awfully talkative today! They told us all about how 2 of them won medals in their sailing competitions today, and then brought out and showed us every metal they've won. It was pretty impressive. I wish I could say I won all sorts of medals as a child, but man, these guys have some talent! It was the first day that Kayla and I have had a real, good conversation with the kids. After they proudly showed off their metals, the daughter Ana**, told us about her mother (our señora) and how she had so many animals when she was a child. It makes sense to me since she is a veterinarian. It was just lovely to laugh with the kids and to let them be proud of what they accomplished today. I really think I lucked out on a good family. And by lucked out, I mean I am so blessed. I don't know why God is so good to me, but I am so grateful He is.


Today--the first school day of many to come--was a successful day. ¡Gracias a Dios!

¡Qué bonita!


*Do not quote me on that.  I am not liable for you or your appearance of stupidity if I am wrong.

**Of course I'm going to change the name of my host sister. Anonymity is precious.



No comments:

Post a Comment