¡Hola y bienvenidos!
¡Estoy en España aprendiendo español por un semestre!
*This entry will be longer than usual (I anticipate) because I am summing up a couple of days.
(I will not apologize for my rambles or my immediate jumps from topic to topic. Nor will I apologize for my lack of eloquence--I'm just trying how to remember to speak English. Spanglish is my nearest and dearest friend.)
I arrived this past Wednesday and fortunately I travelled with a group of 30 something people. Nothing too eventful happened, but I can clearly remember the bus ride from the airport to drop each persona off con sus señoras. My roommate (Kayla) y yo were the very last ones to be dropped off. At this point we memorized how to greet our host family-- con besitos (2 little air kisses on each cheek.)
My host family is comprised of 3 children--2 twin boys and a girl-- and mi señora y señor. We greated them (including the kids!) with the best besitos anyone ever saw--we were naturals. Not exactly true but we will have it down pat by the end of these 4 months. The children are quite possibly the cutest kids I have ever seen.
This family is the sweetest I tell you! The first night we got here, Kayla and I decided to give our family our presents that we had brought from the U.S. As you may know, I love giving gifts and I love seeing people enjoy the things I got them. So naturally, I couldn't wait too long before I got anxious and wanted to give them their presents! Well they reacted so well to our gifts that the children gave us besitos once again!! I mean I guess I could give them more things as long as they keep doing that. Spanish culture is great! When I went into another room where my host dad/señor was to give him his gift, I had a rough time speaking in Spanish. I had now been up for longer than 30 hours (minus the few hours I slept on a plane) and was having a hard time getting my brain to function. I felt so bad for not being able to communicate, but he just kept telling me that I just needed to keep speaking in Spanish. He said that it was okay that I was messing things up, but said that it shouldn't stop me from speaking. And he said that whenever Kayla and I need help with homework or anything else, that we can always go to him or my señora. At that point I couldn't help but hug him. (Since people are "touchy"-er here than in Finland--the other place I've been abroad-- I felt like it was okay. And even if it was weird, it's my thing. And I really felt like he understood us. Maybe it was the exhaustion kicking in.) Well after that, we plopped into our Godsend beds, ready to fall asleep and dream for hours.
Well, apparently we really needed that sleep because the next morning Kayla and I awoke at 8:22 to a knocking on our doors and sounds como "chicas?? chicas?" The previous night our señora asked us 3 or 4 times if we wanted her to wake us up in the morning. The prideful Americans we happened to be insisted that we had an alarm clock and we would be fine. Turns out it didn't work that well. Breakfast was to be served at 8:15--and we clearly weren't there. Embarrassed and rushed, we threw down our tea and toast, and rushed out the door to orientation. I don't think I even looked at myself in the mirror before heading out.
Orientation came and went--and I was grateful for a break that served us café con leche. For not being much of a coffee drinker, I thought that was pretty good. Maybe it was the jet-lagged tastebuds, but nevertheless I was thankful. We learned about the Spanish culture, met our future professors, and we took a placement test. I was really nervous during it and so my mind started wandering, but then I held it together towards the end. Typically I am pretty confident after my tests, feeling that I did my best, but this time I was so unsure of myself. We had to take a placement test in the spring before coming, and I passed with flying colors--but this time I wasn't so positive. The next day we had a meeting with our professors to get our schedule and classes for the semester--so that made me even more anxious. Much to my surprise, they told me I did well on my test and that I could even add another class if I wanted to. (I'm not going to though because I am also going to participate in other after-school activities and it would cost me additional credit hours to do so.) So that was exciting and I was at ease knowing that I really had done my best.
That evening, the other exchange students and myself met up at el parque de los principes--which was a 40 minute walk from our casa--and we played games and had pizza together. Twas a beautiful evening outside! Oh, I suppose I should interject that it has been in the 90's all week--which apparently is "nice"/"cool" out for the Sevillanos for the summer. ¡Increible! While I'm over here sweating up a storm wishing that we went back to the adam and eve style-- pre-bite-- I see folks walk all over town wearing pants or warm-looking shirts. Anyways, after the pizza we walked around town for a while and some people got helado--and then Kayla and I were pooped so we went back home and ended up staying up til 2 in the morning. How that happened? I don't know. But alas, we fell asleep to the sounds of the city and to the warm air circulating through our room.
The next day, Saturday, we had a scavenger hunt (girkana) planned! We arose at the proper timing--due to three alarms-- and prepared ourselves for one heck of a long day. The challenge: given clues (en español, claro) and figure out the names of certain sites in Sevilla and correlate pictures that were also given in random order in a book. After doing that (which we needed to consult some Sevillanos en la calle) we had to get to the location and take a picture of us at the place. We then gathered at 6:30pm (18:30) to look at everyone's pictures and award the winner! Although we lost by 1 point, I think that my group had the most fun that day ;) It was a blast to get lost in the city and try to find our way around. It is a beautiful city. After la cena, a few of us gathered to get some helado and wander around the streets. We had a fun night looking at the city nightlife here. There are so many people out so late at night! It's been strange trying to get used to the different schedule here.
This morning, Kayla and I went to a Brethren church that was within walking distance. Turns out, about 10 other exchange students had the same idea! Well, it is a small church that was only about 20 minutes away and the other churches we knew we would have to take a bus. The service lasted about 2 hours. I could hardly understand what the pastor was saying, but it was quite an interesting event! After that, Kayla and I headed back for lunch, and then met up with Andrea for helado (we really like it I suppose) and chatted for 3 hours!
Tomorrow awaits the first day of class! ¡No puedo esperar! I must be fully functional tomorrow.
Buenas noches, el mundo.
I arrived this past Wednesday and fortunately I travelled with a group of 30 something people. Nothing too eventful happened, but I can clearly remember the bus ride from the airport to drop each persona off con sus señoras. My roommate (Kayla) y yo were the very last ones to be dropped off. At this point we memorized how to greet our host family-- con besitos (2 little air kisses on each cheek.)
My host family is comprised of 3 children--2 twin boys and a girl-- and mi señora y señor. We greated them (including the kids!) with the best besitos anyone ever saw--we were naturals. Not exactly true but we will have it down pat by the end of these 4 months. The children are quite possibly the cutest kids I have ever seen.
This family is the sweetest I tell you! The first night we got here, Kayla and I decided to give our family our presents that we had brought from the U.S. As you may know, I love giving gifts and I love seeing people enjoy the things I got them. So naturally, I couldn't wait too long before I got anxious and wanted to give them their presents! Well they reacted so well to our gifts that the children gave us besitos once again!! I mean I guess I could give them more things as long as they keep doing that. Spanish culture is great! When I went into another room where my host dad/señor was to give him his gift, I had a rough time speaking in Spanish. I had now been up for longer than 30 hours (minus the few hours I slept on a plane) and was having a hard time getting my brain to function. I felt so bad for not being able to communicate, but he just kept telling me that I just needed to keep speaking in Spanish. He said that it was okay that I was messing things up, but said that it shouldn't stop me from speaking. And he said that whenever Kayla and I need help with homework or anything else, that we can always go to him or my señora. At that point I couldn't help but hug him. (Since people are "touchy"-er here than in Finland--the other place I've been abroad-- I felt like it was okay. And even if it was weird, it's my thing. And I really felt like he understood us. Maybe it was the exhaustion kicking in.) Well after that, we plopped into our Godsend beds, ready to fall asleep and dream for hours.
Well, apparently we really needed that sleep because the next morning Kayla and I awoke at 8:22 to a knocking on our doors and sounds como "chicas?? chicas?" The previous night our señora asked us 3 or 4 times if we wanted her to wake us up in the morning. The prideful Americans we happened to be insisted that we had an alarm clock and we would be fine. Turns out it didn't work that well. Breakfast was to be served at 8:15--and we clearly weren't there. Embarrassed and rushed, we threw down our tea and toast, and rushed out the door to orientation. I don't think I even looked at myself in the mirror before heading out.
Orientation came and went--and I was grateful for a break that served us café con leche. For not being much of a coffee drinker, I thought that was pretty good. Maybe it was the jet-lagged tastebuds, but nevertheless I was thankful. We learned about the Spanish culture, met our future professors, and we took a placement test. I was really nervous during it and so my mind started wandering, but then I held it together towards the end. Typically I am pretty confident after my tests, feeling that I did my best, but this time I was so unsure of myself. We had to take a placement test in the spring before coming, and I passed with flying colors--but this time I wasn't so positive. The next day we had a meeting with our professors to get our schedule and classes for the semester--so that made me even more anxious. Much to my surprise, they told me I did well on my test and that I could even add another class if I wanted to. (I'm not going to though because I am also going to participate in other after-school activities and it would cost me additional credit hours to do so.) So that was exciting and I was at ease knowing that I really had done my best.
| We went on a tour around the city. The streets are lined with bitter orange trees! |
The next day, Saturday, we had a scavenger hunt (girkana) planned! We arose at the proper timing--due to three alarms-- and prepared ourselves for one heck of a long day. The challenge: given clues (en español, claro) and figure out the names of certain sites in Sevilla and correlate pictures that were also given in random order in a book. After doing that (which we needed to consult some Sevillanos en la calle) we had to get to the location and take a picture of us at the place. We then gathered at 6:30pm (18:30) to look at everyone's pictures and award the winner! Although we lost by 1 point, I think that my group had the most fun that day ;) It was a blast to get lost in the city and try to find our way around. It is a beautiful city. After la cena, a few of us gathered to get some helado and wander around the streets. We had a fun night looking at the city nightlife here. There are so many people out so late at night! It's been strange trying to get used to the different schedule here.
This morning, Kayla and I went to a Brethren church that was within walking distance. Turns out, about 10 other exchange students had the same idea! Well, it is a small church that was only about 20 minutes away and the other churches we knew we would have to take a bus. The service lasted about 2 hours. I could hardly understand what the pastor was saying, but it was quite an interesting event! After that, Kayla and I headed back for lunch, and then met up with Andrea for helado (we really like it I suppose) and chatted for 3 hours!
| After our 3 hour long talk-- (left to right) : Me, Andrea, and Kayla! |
Tomorrow awaits the first day of class! ¡No puedo esperar! I must be fully functional tomorrow.
Buenas noches, el mundo.
Awesome update. Love it.
ReplyDelete