I know it hasn't even been two weeks yet, but I'm already starting to settle in a little bit. I have begun to get to know the streets of my city a little bit better every day, and I am starting to get into my exercise routine and homework routine. This past weekend was just wonderful to relax.
On Saturday I walked around the streets, hoping to get lost so that I could find my way back. (Don't worry, Kayla and another friend accompanied me.) It was actually pretty fun! I am better with directions that I thought I was! I realized that I hadn't taken many pictures of the actual city, so I went ahead and took some not-so-great photos with my not-so-great camera. I really wish I could capture the beauty of the city to show you all! But I guess that's why you'll have to come and visit me ;)
I finally used Google Hangouts (beat that skype!) to video chat with my family. Four (or five) different computers, three different time zones. It gets a little difficult sometimes to figure out when we can all talk, but hey, it worked. They know I'm safe and sound now (as if reading this blog wasn't enough proof.) We had a lot of laughs during that time. It was great to be able to talk to my family. Shout out to mamacita who has an interview tomorrow! I am praying! You are a rock star! Go get 'em!
On Sunday I went to La Catedral to mass to see what it's like here in Spain. I believe that my profesora told us that it is the largest (Gothic?) cathedral in Spain, and the 3rd largest in the world (or something to that extent.) Anyway, the point is that it's huge--ginormous. I stood in awe just looking at all of the architecture, and how much thought must have gone into this building. Not only that, but there was insane detailing going on. It amazes me how I'm much more interested in this kind of stuff as I get older. I guess I appreciate it more. There must have been so many hours and so much labor that went into this building-- and I probably didn't even see the half of it. What a way to worship the Lord! Well, I wasn't really able to understand what was going on. Maybe it was because of the mumbling. Maybe it was because of the noisy children who sat in front of me. Maybe it was because it was in Spanish. (but most likely not :P ) Whatever it was, I was getting a little bit confused. The older Spanish man next to us kept looking at us--apparently not amused that we were just poor little "giris" (foreigners) that didn't know any better. We were just trying to learn a little bit of the culture!
Later on, I decided to go out for another run by the río. Twas like 5 in the afternoon, which as you may or may not know, is basically the hottest part of the day. (at least it is here.) I mean, it was a great run! However the sun was so strong! SO. STRONG. The vast difference between the shade and the sun astounded me. Anyway, I got back and showered and all such things. My host mom later that night asked what we did that day, and when I told her that I ran around 5, she looked at me like I was crazy. And yes, I may be crazy, but I had a craving to run. (Dude, that sounds weird coming from me.) One of the rules in our house was our shower hours which are between 9am-9pm. Hey, I'm fine with that! I just got to adapt to running in a time frame where it might be a little bit hotter than it would be if it was early in the morning or late at night. So I might be crazy, but I gotta get my ejercicios in!
Oh! As I have mentioned, I have 2 host brothers (age 9) and a host sister (age 11.) All three of them participate in a sailing club. On Sunday, they won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their (final?) competition! The whole family won medals! I was super impressed! My host dad came home and was so proud and smiling and completely overflowing with joy. It was so great to talk to them about their accomplishments. Que guay!
All in all, it was a nice, relaxing weekend. School started back up again. I feel like today's phrase was, "oh yea. That's why I'm here. To study." But, in reality, school has been fantastic! My profesoras are so awesome! AND, I can actually understand them! Yay for comprehension! :)
Dear God, thank you for providing this opportunity. Use me this semester in any way, shape, or form. I am Yours. Amen.
On Saturday I walked around the streets, hoping to get lost so that I could find my way back. (Don't worry, Kayla and another friend accompanied me.) It was actually pretty fun! I am better with directions that I thought I was! I realized that I hadn't taken many pictures of the actual city, so I went ahead and took some not-so-great photos with my not-so-great camera. I really wish I could capture the beauty of the city to show you all! But I guess that's why you'll have to come and visit me ;)
| My street! How European! :) |
I finally used Google Hangouts (beat that skype!) to video chat with my family. Four (or five) different computers, three different time zones. It gets a little difficult sometimes to figure out when we can all talk, but hey, it worked. They know I'm safe and sound now (as if reading this blog wasn't enough proof.) We had a lot of laughs during that time. It was great to be able to talk to my family. Shout out to mamacita who has an interview tomorrow! I am praying! You are a rock star! Go get 'em!
On Sunday I went to La Catedral to mass to see what it's like here in Spain. I believe that my profesora told us that it is the largest (Gothic?) cathedral in Spain, and the 3rd largest in the world (or something to that extent.) Anyway, the point is that it's huge--ginormous. I stood in awe just looking at all of the architecture, and how much thought must have gone into this building. Not only that, but there was insane detailing going on. It amazes me how I'm much more interested in this kind of stuff as I get older. I guess I appreciate it more. There must have been so many hours and so much labor that went into this building-- and I probably didn't even see the half of it. What a way to worship the Lord! Well, I wasn't really able to understand what was going on. Maybe it was because of the mumbling. Maybe it was because of the noisy children who sat in front of me. Maybe it was because it was in Spanish. (but most likely not :P ) Whatever it was, I was getting a little bit confused. The older Spanish man next to us kept looking at us--apparently not amused that we were just poor little "giris" (foreigners) that didn't know any better. We were just trying to learn a little bit of the culture!
| This is the inside of part of the Catedral--where our service was. Sorry, a little blurry. No flash. (My camera died soon after.) |
Oh! As I have mentioned, I have 2 host brothers (age 9) and a host sister (age 11.) All three of them participate in a sailing club. On Sunday, they won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their (final?) competition! The whole family won medals! I was super impressed! My host dad came home and was so proud and smiling and completely overflowing with joy. It was so great to talk to them about their accomplishments. Que guay!
All in all, it was a nice, relaxing weekend. School started back up again. I feel like today's phrase was, "oh yea. That's why I'm here. To study." But, in reality, school has been fantastic! My profesoras are so awesome! AND, I can actually understand them! Yay for comprehension! :)
| One of the main streets (for me anyway) of the city. Tan bonita! |
Dear God, thank you for providing this opportunity. Use me this semester in any way, shape, or form. I am Yours. Amen.
I love your blogs, and glad you are able to take in so much of your experience.
ReplyDelete